Freemasonry has existed in Sudbury since the 18th century. However our tale must begin in 1868 with the Consecration of Stour Valley Lodge. Some eighteen years later a member and local builder Frederick Jennings built our present home, then known as the Freemasons Temperance hotel, and leased the Temple and anti-room at the annual rent of £24 to the Lodge.
It was not until 1919 that a few farsighted Brethren purchased the freehold for £700. The building however continued as before, a hotel and club with no dining facilities. The Lodge dined around the town, the favourite haunts being the Rose and Crown Hotel (destroyed by fire in 1922) and situated where Winch and Blatch stands today, then moving to the Four Swans Hotel in north Street, again, with its magnificent ornate plastered ceiling, destroyed by fire.
In 1937 the Trustees purchased the adjoining Mount site, a row of Victorian cottages of no architectural merit. It was not until 1967, upon the receipt of the generous legacies of Brothers RW Bell and C Buckney, and the decision to sell the Mount site for development that plans were agreed to rebuild the premises as they are today, In the meantime two new Lodges had been consecrated to accommodate the growing number of candidates, namely Priory in 1924 and Babergh in 1967, as Freemasonry thrived.